This monument is located at the spot were at 08.00 on the 16th of December 1944 the 277th Volksgrenadier Division became engaged in heavy fighting with the 393rd Infantry Regiment of the 99th Infantry Division and the battle of the Bulge became a fact.
Around the monument one can still find traces of foxholes and trenches, also big craters made by artillery are still to be seen.
On the other side of the forest one can see the dragon’s teeth, (German: Drachenzähne) they are square-pyramidal fortifications of reinforced concrete first used during the Second World War to impede the movement of tanks and mechanised infantry. The idea was to slow down and channel tanks into killing zones where they could easily be disposed of by anti-tank weapons. They were employed extensively, particularly on the Siegfried Line.